|Season 1, Episode 2|
|Air date||September 30, 2013|
|Written by||Jon Bokenkamp|
|Directed by||Jace Alexander|
|Guest Stars|| Isabella Rosellini as Floriana Campo|
Daniel Sauli as The Freelancer
Hisham Tawfiq as Dembe
Deborah S Craig as Luli Zeng
Jane Alexander as Diane Fowler
Raymond Reddington receives a new set of clothes in his cell, which he changes into. He then walks out through a door under escort and is shown to be on an oil tanker. A helicopter is just landing to take him to Washington.
In Washington Red and Elizabeth Keen are given polygraph tests. During his test Red suddenly stops and announces that there is going to be a major incident at the Decatur Industrial Park.
The FBI and other law enforcement personnel search the park but find nothing, and are just about to leave when they are warned about a runaway train on the adjacent track. The train derails.
Liz visits Tom at the hospital and then visits Red to tell him that she is calling the shots and he is not getting his deal. When questioned Red says that he knew nothing about the train crash, just that there would be an incident. He says that the crash was caused by an assassin known as "The Freelancer" who assassinates his targets by causing large scale disasters, killing the target along with many innocent people. Red says that he knows an intermediary who may be able to tell them the Freelancer's next victim, but he'll have to meet him in person, in Montreal. With little choice the FBI arrange for Red to go to Montreal, and Liz to accompany him to the restaurant where the meeting is to occur.
At the restaurant Liz and Red talk, and Red asks Liz to profile him. Donald Ressler and the RCMP monitoring the meeting notice Red slip something to the sommelier and then leave the table. They all storm inside, but Red is nowhere to be found. Liz and Ressler argue about whose fault it is that Red escaped all the way back to the surveillance van, but when they open the door they find Red inside waiting for them. Red tells them that his contact was the coat check person and shows them a picture of the target, Floriana Campo, a noted anti-human trafficking campaigner who is one of Liz's personal heroes.
Back in Washington the FBI meet with Floriana, and warn her about the impending attack. She refuses to cancel all fund-raising event , but does agree to a change of location.
As Red is the only person who knows what the Freelancer looks like, he has to attend the event which he won't do until his deal is in place. Reluctantly Fowler signs off on an off-the-record deal while vowing that Red will never have immunity. She also agrees that Dembe and Luli Zeng will form his security detail. However, she states that Meera Malik will join the task force.
At the event Red identifies one of the waiters as the Freelancer. In the confusion caused by the agents attempting to arrest him Red slips away.
The agents pursue and eventually catch the Freelancer, when he is knocked down by a commandeered taxi driven by Liz. Liz assures Floriana that the assassin has been captured and ensures she reaches her hotel room in safety.
Floriana is confronted in her hotel room by Red who reveals that he knows that she is head of of the Eberhardt Cartel. He wonders how she manages both sides of her life, saying he would have "kicked the angel out years ago". Then they argue about their methods of operation and levels of morality.
Ressler is questioning the Freelancer and getting nowhere, so Meera takes over. Using brutal techniques she forces him to reveal that Red had ordered the hit on Floriana.
Liz is informed, and returns to Floriana's hotel room to find the the agents guarding the room have been replaced by Dembe, who allows her access. Inside the room Floriana attempts to convince Liz of her innocence, but betrays herself by calling Red "Raymond". Red says that he has had Floirana poisoned, but he has the antidote which he will handover once she admits her role as head of the Ebehardt Cartel. Floriana is given an emergency tracheotomy by Liz, and nods her guilt.
Next day Liz tells Red that the FBI have proved Floriana's leadership of the cartel and rescued a shipment of girls. When Liz asks what would have happened if the antidote had been administered in time, Red tells her there was no antidote.
In preparation for Tom's release from hospital, Liz replaces the box and has the carpet relaid. Unable to sleep on Tom's first night home, Liz checks the pockets of the clothes he was wearing, when he was tortured and stabbed, and finds a USB stick in an envelope labelled "Elizabeth Keen - Background". When she checks the file she finds that it contains a testimonial about her, recorded by Tom for the adoption agency.
Red predicts an impending catastrophe, rooted by the work of an assassin, called "The Freelancer." Together, Liz and Red go undercover to prevent from having his next target, Floriana Campo from being killed. Elsewhere, Ressler and newly re-hired CIA agent, Meera Malik, who’s been added to Red’s private security detail, keep an eye on them from a distance. Meanwhile, Liz considers what she should do next concerning Tom and the mysterious box she found hidden under the floorboards.
Number on The BlacklistEdit
- Will Diane Fowler's intention of not going through with the immunity deal come true? Red told Floriana Campo that the FBI was working for him, therefore he likely expects that the FBI will try to find a way to avoid immunity. So far he has outmaneuvered the FBI.
- Who were the other people on Red's security detail list?
- Will The Freelancer be forced and/or lured into revealing more of his clients? How many will be arrested?
- Why did Diane not know of the DARPA approved tracker?
- She is a Supervisor, and would not normally be involved in ongoing operations where such devices would be used.
- What was Floriana's number on The Blacklist?
- What will happen to Floriana Campo's legal front organization now that her smuggling operations have been exposed? The guest speaker made it clear that Campo had sacrificed some shipments to maintain her public image.
- How did Dembe escape from the Eberhardt Cartel?
- A: He could have been sold by the cartel as a child soldier to a mercenary/rebel group. He later escaped during a battle in Africa.
Slanders on the FBI and the RCMPEdit
- Why was the control vehicle left empty?
- Why did Keen identify herself as FBI and alert The Freelancer? He was able to escape the building. She should have followed the example shown when the Chemist was arrested in "Pilot". The FBI agent revealed himself after the FBI had control of the room and the Chemist could not counter-attack.
- A: She drew her gun in a crowded room, she had to identify herself as FBI to reassure the innocent bystanders.
- Q: She could have ID'ed herself after she had moved closer and signaled Ressler to block the exits.
- A: The Freelancer noticed her reaction to Red's words and was already fleeing.
- Why was Red allowed to leave the restaurant?
- A: He was not allowed to leave. He was excused from the table "for a moment" to which Liz should have assumed he was going to meet with the liaison.
- Why did Ressler invade the restaurant when Red left? It risked breaking Red's cover story.
- How did Dembe replace the guard on Floriana's room?
- Why did the FBI only want Red to check the guest list, what about the staff?
- (Red to Liz) What is it with you, in hotel rooms, with pens and people's necks?
|Season 1 Episodes|
| · Pilot · The Freelancer · Wujing ·The Stewmaker · The Courier · Gina Zanetakos · Frederick Barnes · General Ludd ·|
· Anslo Garrick · Anslo Garrick Conclusion · The Good Samaritan · The Alchemist · The Cyprus Agency ·
· Madeline Pratt · The Judge · Mako Tanida · Milton Bobbit ·